Saturday, April 20, 2013

Bento Fever!

So... to be honest, I have been playing games and reading manga... But I haven't actually gotten around to reviewing more for some reason...  I really should get back to reviewing stuff... and making my visual novel, but COLLEGE.  Anyways, in the meantime I have been making efforts to bring stuff from home and what better way to put my need to make things presentable than going the way of the bento?

"Memories are forgotten soon" explains why you need to check off what you have on the lid.

First off, I got my first bento box from Tokyo Lifestyle for $15 which comes with 2-tiers, smaller-than-average chopsticks, and an insulated bag.  The brand is what I presume to be Ag+ "Men's bento box" at the volume of 850 mL.  The plus side was that it was microwaveable with the lid off and it could fit in my messenger bag.  The downside was that it was a bit too skinny for my needs if I wanted sandwiches or salads.  But now I want to get rid of it by selling it on Craigslist or something because I found something better for my needs.


Ta-da!  Meet Lock & Lock's lunch box set with a volume of 1050 mL, which is perfect for the whole day I'm stuck at school.  It even comes with a neat pair of fork and spoon, but I was desperate to find a pair of collapsible chopsticks to put in the bag.  Alas, I guess I'll stick to wrapping full-size chopsticks in napkins and stick it in my schoolbag.  The bag is what I believe to be better insulated, sturdy, and snug so the containers don't move around the bag.  It's big enough where I can still put an ice pack inside.  For the price of $16, I feel like I got a better deal but I live within limits where I can drive to Asian communities that have these stores to cut down on shipping costs from purchasing one online.

Lastly, I just discovered this mythical Daiso store while traveling with my family.  I said,"Hey, since we're in the area lets check this store out."  I keep reading people's comments about getting their bento gear from Daiso and I've only been to Marukai and Mitsuwa.  And then I found the glorified bento section:


A whole aisle dedicated to bento gear unlike Marukai and Mitsuwa having a much smaller selection.  Everything you could want for bento gear from a value store with prices starting at $1.50 unless otherwise stated.  Bento containers, individual elastic bands, chopsticks w/cases, mini squeeze bottles, reusable silicone cups of the right size (maybe a bit too small), disposable colorful paper cups, disposable and reusable picks of colors and themes, petite cutlery, molding cutters for animals and shapes, carving knife for decoration, colorful and cute lunch totes, insulated (but ugly) bags, sleeves for thermos, and reusable cups for "mayo and ketchup" that looks like individual half-and-half creamer cups.  If a Daiso store is within your reach, you can get whatever bento accessory or container for cheap at $6 or less.

This blog isn't going to turn into a bento blog, but I did say this blog would have ramblings.  I think my bento mania died down for now until I see another Daiso store at a more nearby location.

No comments:

Post a Comment